Here at DrapeStyle, we sell more silk drapes than anything else. You won’t find better quality silk and exclusive colors anywhere. Our designers are often asked questions about our silk fabrics. Here are a few facts about this stunning natural fabric:
- Because of its natural protein structure, silk is the most hypoallergenic of all fabrics
- An all-climate fabric, it is warm and cozy in winter and comfortably cool when temperatures rise. Its natural temperature-regulating properties give silk this paradoxical ability to cool and warm simultaneously. Silk garments outperform other fabrics in both summer and winter. Worn as a second layer, it warms without being bulky
- In spite of its delicate appearance, it is relatively robust and its smooth surface resists soil and odors well
- While silk abrasion resistance is moderate, it is the strongest natural fiber and, surprisingly, it easily competes with steel yarn in tensile strength
- Silk takes color well, washes easily, and is easy to work with in spinning, weaving, knitting, and sewing
Our designers are often asked to explain the difference between the different types of silk drapery we offer at DrapeStyle. The three primary categories of silk are Dupioni, Taffeta and Handwoven, also known as Matka. All of our silks are imported from India however, there are distinct characteristics that make each one unique.
Silk Dupioni, or Douppioni, is known in the textile industry for its modest sheen and less refined texture. Dupioni is a lustrous silk often woven from two different colors of threads, so that it shimmers or changes color in the light. Dupioni is made from an irregular, rough silk reeled from double cocoons or cocoons nested together, making it necessary to reel them together. An elegant woven fabric made with a tight plain weave, fine warp yarns, filling yarns that form prominent, irregular crosswise ribs. Usually brightly colored, it has a moderately crisp drape, fairly reflective luster, and a nubby texture. DrapeStyle carries a wide variety of Dupioni in both solids and stripes.
Silk Taffeta is considered a more formal and luxurious fabric due to its higher sheen and more refined weave. Our Taffeta has a crisp smooth finish that looks elegant in any pleat style. Please view our fabulous Striped Silk Taffeta drapes here.
DrapeStyle’ s European influenced, 100% Handwoven Silk collection is the new look of silk. We like to describe it as a marriage between the elegance of silk and the natural texture of linen. This combination gives it a unique, heavy weight weave often used in transitional designs. In any length, width or pleat style, this updated material has quickly become one of our best sellers. View all of the colors of our Handwoven Silk Collection and see for yourself this beautifully textured fabric.
DrapeStyle offers free fabric samples, so that you can view our luxurious fabrics in your own home. Please view our fabrics and when you order now, your first $10 are free. If you have questions, please contact us, we are happy to help you determine the right length or width, or offer suggestions on fabrics, pleat styles and more.
We have been making custom draperies, Roman shades and pillows for over 15 years. DrapeStyle custom makes everything right here in the USA by seamstresses who have an average of 25 years of experience. You won’t find better quality draperies anywhere. Please join us in the DrapeStyle experience, you will be pleased.