This was originally posted by Casa Collective. This guide has some really good information that would be good to share.
THE NO-FUSS GUIDE ON HOW TO HANG CURTAINS
THE CURTAIN ROD
- The standard mounting height for a curtain rod is 4″ to 6″ above the window frame.
- The higher you install the rod, the taller the window will appear. To make a window appear taller, install the rod from 8″ above the window frame to as high as the ceiling or bottom of crown molding.
- If you have low ceilings and want to create the illusion of greater height, install the rod as close to the ceiling as possible.
- To allow more light to come in when the curtains are open, the curtain rod should extend a minimum of 3″ beyond the window frame on each side.
- To make a window appear wider and more grand, extend the rod 3″ to 6″ beyond the frame on each side.
- Generally, the rod should be no more than 1/3 wider than the width of the window. For example, on a 54″ window you can add up to 9″ on each side (54 x 1/3 = 18) . That means the curtain rod can be up to 72″ in length.
- If you have decorative trim that you’d like to reveal when the curtains are drawn back, allow at least a 12″ extension on both sides.
WIDTH OF CURTAINS
- If the curtains are just framing the window and won’t be opened, you only need 1-1/2 times the width of the window.
- To ensure that the curtains look full when closed, the combined width of the panels should be 2 to 2-1/2 times the width of the window.
- For more fullness, opt for three times the width.
- Always round the number up when determining the width of your panels. And when in doubt, go for the wider width.
LENGTH OF CURTAINS
- Floor length curtains should just skim the floor or hang a 1/2″ above it.
- You could allow a break of 1″ to 3″. This break is similar to what they do for trousers. The style is great for helping to compensate for uneven floors.
- To create a more extravagant puddling effect, allow for an extra 6″ to 9″ in length. Tuck the fabric underneath and “poof” it up. Keep in mind, each time you vacuum the floor you’ll have to readjust the puddling. And if you have pets, they love to curl up on the extra fabric.
- To determine the measurement of floor length curtains, measure from the top of the rod to the floor. Then subtract as necessary to allow for hanging hardware. If you plan to puddle the curtains on the floor, add the additional inches needed to do so.
- In kitchen and high traffic areas, consider choosing a curtain length that skims the window sill.
- Cafe curtains should be installed halfway up the window and be parallel to the fixed horizontal mullion (the vertical bar between the panes of glass). The length should just skim the window sill.
- It’s easier to hem curtains than to make them longer, so always round up your measurements.